Fort Myers Saturday Art Fair
Date: The dates for the 2013-2014 season:
- October 12, 2013
- November 16, 2013
- December 21, 2013
- January 18, 2014
- February 15, 2014
- March 15, 2014
- April 19, 2014
Time: 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Place: The Fort Myers Downtown Saturday Art Fair takes place under the awnings of the galleries, shops and offices that border First Avenue, just steps from the waters of the Caloosahatchee River in the completely refurbished and restored downtown Fort Myers River District. With wide sidewalks, majestic palms and old-time charm, this bricked thoroughfare is ideally-suited to an outdoor art fair. As an added bonus, First Street is dotted by some of the River District’s best galleries and boutiques, including Arts for ACT Gallery, the Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center and Enjewel.
Arts for ACT is located in the front of the century-old Arcade Building (right) where acclaimed winter residents, inventors and industry pioneers Thomas Edison, Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone once watched early motion pictures with their spouses and friends. Today, the Arcade Building is not only home to Arts for ACT, but to the Florida Repertory Theatre, which has been designated as “one of America’s top repertory companies” by the Wall Street Journal and as “best performing arts group” by both Gulfshore Life Magazine and Florida Weekly.
Description: Over three dozen accomplished artists participate in the Fort Myers Downtown Saturday Art Fair, and the number grows each month. Together, they treat River District art lovers to affordable original works of art in oil, acrylic, watercolor and mixed media, photography, prints and giclees, wire and metal sculpture, ceramics and pottery, hand-crafted jewelry of every imaginable kind and composition, stained and fused glass, upcycled art, designer wear and unique artsy gifts of all kinds.
The intimate, small-town ambiance of the River District engenders casual conversation between collectors and the participating artists, who willingly share stories about where they find inspiration, how they craft the unique pieces they sell, and what drew them to the arts in the first place. If you don’t find exactly what you are looking for, they will be pleased to make what you want. They’ll even deliver it to your home!
The downtown galleries are open during the Art Fair. This amplifies festival-goers’ art viewing experience, and whether before, during or afterwards, art lovers have numerous dining choices including Ford’s Garage, The French Connection, Red Rock Saloon, Twisted Vine, Morgan House Restaurant (in Patio de Leon) and the Veranda, with United Cafe’, Bar & Bistro, Hideway Sports Bar, Spirits of Bacchus, The World Famous Cigar Bar and Hotel Indigo’s Phi in the Sky rooftop lounge offering adult beverages and their own unique atmosphere.
Cost: There is no charge to attend the Saturday Art Fair.
Parking: There is ample free parking within easy walking distance of First Street.
Organizer: Fort Myers Art Walk Committee
Director: Claudia Goode, Curator, Arts for ACT Gallery
Facebook: None at present.
More Viewing Opportunities. With more than a dozen artistic landmarks within easy walking distance, many art enthusiasts combine the Saturday Art Fair with a walking tour of the City of Fort Myers public art collection. Offered by True Tours in the Franklin Shops on First (239-945-0504), the tours start at 10:30 and finish around noon, leaving plenty of time to browse and shop the art:
- Barbara Jo Revelle Ceramic Tile Mural,
- Marlin Miller American Bald Eagle,
- Parallel Park (right), the site-specific installation that has people asking if the Lee County Justice Center Parking Garage is the fine art museum,
- Sun Gate,
- Fire Dance, the brand new Dupont red proto-architectural sculpture in Centennial Park,
- Robert E. Lee Memorial,
- The Florida Panthers,
- The Great Turtle Chase,
- Uncommon Friends,
- Buckingham & Page Army Airfields Memorial,
- Caloosahatchee Manuscripts, and
- Sidney & Berne Davis Art Center.
Others time their visit to the Saturday Art Fair with a trip to the Edison & Ford Estates, the Southwest Florida Museum of History or the Imaginarium.
- This is the Fort Myers Downtown Saturday Art Fair’s fourth full season. (It started in 2009.)
- The Saturday Art Fair takes place a mere two blocks from the Bay Street entrance to Fort Myers’ historic Centennial Park.
- Fort Myers Saturday Art Fair looking for artists for 2013-2014 season (08-21-13)
- See new art events appeal to Southwest Florida art lovers this weekend (03-13-13)
- Downtown Saturday Art Fair returns to River District on Saturday, March 16 (03-10-13)
- Art festivals from Naples to Matlacha entice SW Florida art lovers this weekend (02-06-13)
- Art festival season continues in February with big fairs, exciting venues (01-23-13)
- Two more quality art festivals come to Southwest Florida this weekend (01-15-13)
- Art festival season starts in earnest this weekend in Southwest Florida (12-29-12)
- Fort Myers Saturday Art Fair returns to River District November 17 (11-13-12)
- Saturday Art Fair returns to downtown Fort Myers November 17, 2012 (10-18-12)
- Fort Myers Saturday Art Fair takes place tomorrow in the River District (10-12-12)
- Except next month, Fort Myers Saturday Art Fair moves to third Saturdays (09-20-12)
- Season-ending Saturday Art Fair takes place in River District on Saturday (04-03-12)
- Saturday Art Fair returns to River District on March 3, 2012 (02-18-12)
- No Saturday Art Fair tomorrow (02-03-12)
- Saturday Art Fair takes place in River District on January 7 (01-06-12)
- Yesterday’s Saturday Art Fair treated attendees to exquisite art and weather (12-03-11)
- Saturday Art Fair is today (12-02-11)
- Saturday Art Fair on December 3 offers abundance of holiday gift ideas (11-13-11)
- River District hosts Saturday Art Fair (10-06-11)
- Art Walk Fort Myers issues call to artists for 2011-2012 Saturday Art Fair